Introducing GEAT – a new Goods, Equipment and Assistive Technology service as part of the Commonwealth Home Support Programme

goods equipment assistive technologyIt is well recognised that assistive equipment and technology can enable people to do tasks that they otherwise would be unable to do, or to support people to be safer and more independent.

As of 1 July 2018, the ILC will be providing a new service, known as GEAT (Goods, Equipment and Assistive Technology), which will enable people who are eligible for the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) to access items to assist them to perform daily tasks and to maintain their independence.

Access to this service will be via referral from the Regional Assessment Service (RAS), where the assessor determines that assistive equipment may be needed to support an individual to reach their goals and maximise their independence and autonomy.

The GEAT service may include the support of an occupational therapist with expertise in assistive equipment and technology.

Items available will include those that provide short-term and ongoing support and assist with mobility, communication, reading and personal care.

Examples of the types of items that will be available include:

  • Dressing aids
  • Shower chairs
  • Sensor mats
  • Over-toilet frames
  • Walking frames
  • Adapted utensils
  • Low vision aids

Depending on an individual’s eligibility for obtaining equipment, some people may be assisted with the purchase or hire of these items.

The GEAT service will be state-wide with the initial rollout being in the Perth metropolitan area.

The ILC has been the leading centre of excellence for assistive technology and equipment options for 40 years and is well placed to provide this valuable service to support older people to remain living independently in their own homes.

For further information about the GEAT service contact Service Coordinator Jenny Bishop on or (08) 9381 0600.

10 Responses

  1. Jenny Wylie says:

    I am a community OT working in the Great Southern. I see some clients who are in receipt of CHSP funding and seeking OT assistnce in scripting Equipment What is the application process ?
    Thanks and kind regards

    • Gail Stacey says:

      Hi Jenny, thank you very much for your enquiry, one of our staff will contact you as soon as possible.

    • Gail Stacey says:

      For those interested in our response to Jenny’s question: Currently we are not operating in regional areas, however we have a planned rollout through 2018/19. The individual will need to be assessed and referred to GEAT by a RAS or ACAT assessor to enable us to proceed. We are able to take assessment and prescription details for equipment from rural and remote therapists and look at providing a subsidy for the item, provided it falls within the ‘entry level’ basic scope (see above list). Please contact the ILC if you wish to discuss a specific case, as we may be able to accept regional referrals on a case by case basis until we are ready to open officially.

  2. Karthik says:

    Hi There,

    Could you please advise us the eligibility criteria for CHSP? Also how much funding is allowed and does ILC administer the funding or does DSC do it?

    Regards, Karthik Pasumarthy

    • Gail Stacey says:

      Hi Karthik, thank you for your enquiry, one of our staff will contact you as soon as possible.

    • Gail Stacey says:

      For those interested in our response to Karthik’s question: Please refer to My Aged Care for eligibility to the Commonwealth Home Support Programme – The Goods, Equipment and Assistive Technology service is available to anyone who meets the CHSP eligibility. If the equipment falls within the scope, (see above list) and the individual has not exceeded their yearly allowance (approximately $360 per year), then they are eligible for a subsidy. A client contribution towards the cost of the item will be requested, unless they are identified as experiencing financial hardship. The funding is provided through the CHSP, and administered by ILC.

  3. Sreelekshmi says:


    I am a community worker, I need to buy a shower seat to one of our client under CHSP, Can you please advise the maximum fund available for buying an equipment for one client.

  4. Elise Allen says:

    Hi Gail,
    My 83 YO father had a stoke two years ago and needs a light weight 4W frame (carbon fibre? ) that he and my mother can manage to put into a car with ease. Also a four pronged stick for inside the house. Currently they live independently with just some help in the garden at postcode 6209. How do we go about this?

    Kind Regards

Leave a Reply to Chantal Husk